History of Kiwanis Club of Johnson City, TNOn February 18, 1920 a group of (number) business leaders met to organize the first Kiwanis Club in Johnson City. The first meeting place for the Club was in the Avalon Restaurant on E. Main Street and its first president was Joe A. Summers. Other meeting places over the last 90 years have included the Parks and Rec buildings (East and West), Windsor Hotel, John Sevier Hotel, First Presbyterian Church, First Baptist Church, the Country Club of Johnson City, Unsophisticated Otter and its current location in the Centre at Millennium Park. On the Charter night in May 1920, the roster totaled 86 members. Today the Club membership is approximately 100 members.
Over the past 90 years, the Kiwanis Club of Johnson City has kept to their motto of “We Build” by serving this community and its youth. Some of the projects funded by the Club over its 90 years include
- Key Clubs in local high schools,
- a Builders Club in the middle schools,
- support for Kiwanis Park in Johnson City,
- Little League team sponsor,the Northeast Tennessee Regional Science Fair at ETSU,the B.U.G. (Bringing Up Grades) program in Johnson City Schools,
- Topper Tots at SHHS,the TECHTA (Tennessee Early Childhood Training Alliance) at ETSU
- support for the March of Dimes,
- supporting the Ronald McDonald House,supporting Special Olympics,
- supporting the Hands On Museum,
- support for the Kiwanis International Worldwide Iodine Deficiency Disorder (IDD) campaign.
To support these community projects, the Kiwanis Club raises the money in several events. One major event the Club holds is its Annual Pancake Breakfast at the Ruby Tuesday Restaurant on State of Franklin Road across from ETSU and O’Charlie’s Restaurant in north Johnson City. Another event is around the Christmas holiday when the Club sells Pecans and Candied Pecans. Proceeds from both events support the Club’s service projects in Johnson City.
If you are interested in joining the Kiwanis Club of Johnson City, please click here and one of our members will be in touch with you shortly. Thank you!